We’re thrilled to announce today we’ve partnered with AutoGrid to pilot a program with Zūm’s electric buses and AutoGrid’s Virtual Power Plant technology (VPP).
Please see our press release here. A brief recap follows below:
- Our partnership will help accelerate adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) in an antiquated school transportation system that previously relied on emission-intensive diesel yellow buses.
- Together, we’ll deploy 10,000 electric school buses to create over 1 Gigawatt of flexible capacity — the equivalent of powering more than one million homes for one to four hours — when the electricity grid is overloaded.
- This will not only help lower the cost of energy for school districts, but also help lower the overall cost of operating the grid. It will also help in removing expensive and pollutive “peaker” plants that are disproportionately located in disadvantaged communities.
- When fully deployed, this is expected to be one of the largest VPPs in the world.
- Every EV bus saves 11 tons of carbon emissions per year, which will help school districts make progress on their carbon footprint goals.
- If deployed over the 500,000 yellow school buses transporting over 27 million students every day, the transition to EVs for the school transportation sector can play a critical role in helping communities improve air quality and environmental health for student passengers and area residents.
- The Biden Administration’s proposed $25 billion investment in the electrification of school buses as part of the infrastructure bill provides even more acceleration for a clean future.
Exciting times ahead as we reimagine the future of school transportation. Stay tuned for much more to come!